Monday, October 17, 2011

True Life: I am a Video Coordinator

It has dawned on me that I am yet to describe exactly what I do as a video coordinator. The normal reactions I get when I tell someone my position is, "Oh, so you video tape the hockey games.....cool?" Pretty standard. While this blatant lack of understanding, and to some degree respect, bothered me, I couldn't blame these people because I was never able to give a clear job description in response. Well, its been two years and I've finally been able to pinpoint exactly what I do, and why I do it. The following is a brief overview of my day to day responsibilities:


  • Use a special software to dissect live and pre-recorded game film
  • Make sure this video and data get onto all four computers, belonging to all four coaches.
  • Organize this data into cutups as requested by coaches and players and present them during team meetings. 
  • Develop scouting reports on upcoming opponents and present them to the coaches.
  • Upload weekend game video onto EzXchanges, a collegiate video exchange site.
  • On game days, log live game video and present to coaches in between periods.


As you can see, this job is far more involved and time consuming than simply video taping the games. In fact, I think I saw the camcorder under some boxes collecting dust the other day. The main point here, is that this job is an important part to the development of players and successful teams.  Does anyone remember the scene from Miracle, where Herb Brooks' wife gets upset because he's watching game film into the wee hours of the morning? This still goes on. Judging from the bags under our coaches eyes sometimes, I question if they even sleep. Coaches dedicate hours and hours of time reviewing game film so they can help find strengths and weaknesses in the team as a whole, as well as individual players. 

And let's face it, many coaches these days are technologically handicapped. Without younger, tech-savey video coordinators around doing their job, coaches would not be able to do theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment