Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My "Proverbial" Rookie Post

That is right; this is my first ever post on my first ever blog. While I have been toying with the idea of diving into the wild world of blogging, I never found the inspiration I needed to take the leap. However, after some self-assessment and a little push from my college writing professor, well, here I am. For my 'rookie' post, I want to first give some insight into the subject and direction of this blog, and second, to explain my story and my credentials.
First, the name of this blog is 'InsideTheHE'. No, I do not intend on blogging about the male anatomy or anything of the sort. The HE stands for Hockey East. My plan is to write one post per week on the activity that is happening throughout the Hockey East. However, I will not be simply writing about the star players or the play by play of the weekend's biggest games. What I will be doing is providing a behind the scenes look into the entire business of a division 1 hockey league, with a focus on the communication aspect.

What makes me qualified to do this, you ask? It's actually a fairytale story.

My name is JP Buckley, Boston native and an avid hockey fan. I grew up going to the Boston University hockey games at the Walter Brown Arena, literally. My mother used to have to change my diaper in the stands after a big hit or highlight reel goal caused the student section to erupt in a harmonious, eardrum-busting roar. My love for the game began in that Arena. My goal was to play on that ice as a member of the Boston University Terriers. Twenty years later, despite a monumental hockey career, I did not fulfill my goal as a player, but rather as a member of the staff. I am currently going into my third year as the Video Coordinator for BU's Men's Ice Hockey Team. This job has opened up my eyes to the extensive work that happens behind the scenes both on game day, throughout the week, and in the offseason. I have gained a much greater appreciation for all college and professional sports because I know understand the amount of time and dedication that people give to provide entertainment to the fans.

Although being the Video Coordinator is a full-time job, I also dedicate a lot of my time and energy into my school work. I am a junior in the College of Communications here at BU, concentrating on the science of communication in Public Relations. Working behind the scenes for the hockey team has allowed me to get first-hand experience in the world of sports communication. My intentions for this blog is to try and share my experience with you all, to try and help you understand that there is an entire world going on beyond game that is just as important.
With that being said, I will not bore you with technicalities of sports media, but rather will put a spin on the obvious happenings of division 1 college hockey from a communications standpoint.

I hope you will all enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. no shout out for helping to shape you into the team manager you are today??? thanks...

    and by the way, happy birthday dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I forget!? Maybe i'll dedicate a post to you, my mentor! haha

    thanks for the birthday wish, we miss you around here. BIGTIME. Hopefully see you soon.

    ReplyDelete